Plumber.ca Basement Waterproofing – Exterior
Moisture, Mold, or Puddling In Your Home?
‘Last updated: January 20, 2017‘ If you have one or more of these problems than it’s time you give our waterproofing specialists a call. Here are the most common causes of mold, moisture, and puddling in your basement.
Cracks in the Walls or Foundation
Well if your basement is built ground level or below, over time water starts to build up in the soil and raise the water table -especially if there is no grade away from your house. This higher water table causes hydrostatic pressure underneath basement floors and against basement walls which forces water in through cracks and crevices in the foundation walls, through openings in the footing foundation wall joint and up through floor cracks. Over time this built up water pressure can cause major structural damages as well as mould and other moisture related problems.
Plugged Weeping Tiles
Sometimes the drainage system around the house is clogged which causes drain water or sewage to back up and flow into the basement. This highly unsanitary environment is often the cause of illness such as allergies or asthma. It also creates an environement where insects and rodents can live. There is also an unwelcome sewer smell which accompanies the backing up of drain water or sewage.
Leaky Windows or Blocked Drainage Tiles in Window Wells
Another common leak is through ground level basement windows when there is a lot of rain or snow drainage. Installing new window wells with proper drainage can help to solve this problem. As well as weather stripping around the windows.
Mold in your basement is the biggest cause for concern. Mold needs dark damp surface areas along with dust to grow. Your basement is the perfect breeding grounds for this. The most common types of mould you’ll find in your basement are; alternaria, penecillium, cladosporium, and aspergillus, which, thankfully, are the least harmful types of mould. However, sometimes Stachybotrys chartarum (black mould) can grow and cause serious health problems. You can clean your walls with bleach and water to remove the mould but to make sure it never comes back, basement waterproofing is the answer. If no moisture can get in, then mould can’t grow – it’s as simple as that.
Our Basement Waterproofing Process
- 1.Every exterior basement waterproofing job starts with first excavating down to the footing of the basement. The depth will obviously range but we typically excavate out 2-2.5 feet from the wall.
- 2.We dig out the old weeping tile and replace it with new 4″ weeping tile with filter cloth.
- 3.Next step is to clean the foundation walls searching for cracks, voids, and any other defects, chisel them out and fill with hydraulic cement which expands to completely fill the void.
- 4.From the grading down to the footing, we apply a rubbery membrane which is the most critical component in preventing water from breaching your foundation walls.
- 5.On top of that layer, we apply a dimpled drainage board which will be up against the soil. The dimples create little air gaps so that any water that gets through, drains directly down into the weeping tile.
- 6.Now that the waterproofing membrane is installed, we install a layer of 3/4″ gravel on top of the weeping tile and then do a water test to ensure the drainage is working properly.
- 7.We then backfill the excavated hole we made with the same soil we took out, compact it with a tamper to the original level, and clean up the area so it looks like we were never there!
- Toronto Plumbers – (416) 433-1111
- Acton Plumbers – (905) 691-5555
- Ajax Plumbers – (905) 391-4444
- Aurora Plumbers – (905) 717-7000
- Bolton Plumbers – (905) 867-6666
- Bradford Plumbers – (905) 868-5000
- Brampton Plumbers – (905) 867-6666
- Burlington Plumbers – (905) 483-1000
- Etobicoke Plumbers – (416) 433-1111
- Georgetown Plumbers – (905) 691-5555
- Hamilton Plumbers – (905) 869-8000
- Markham Plumbers – (416) 433-1111
- Milton Plumbers – (905) 691-5555
- Mississauga Plumbers – (905) 601-8000
- Newmarket Plumbers – (905) 868-5000
- Oakville Plumbers – (905) 483-1000
- Orangeville Plumbers – (519) 938-1111
- Richmond Hill Plumbers – (416) 433-1111
- Scarborough Plumbers – (416) 433-1111
- Uxbridge Plumbers – (905) 391-4444
- Vaughan Plumbers – (416) 433-1111
- Whitby Plumbers – (905) 391-4444
*If your town or city is not listed above please call the nearest local phone number to you as we have local plumbing professionals in many additional locations. Thank you.